Sunday, May 11, 2014

Happy Mother's Day!



I hope that everyone has had a blessed time celebrating or being celebrated this Mother's Day.


I had the pleasure of spending time with my parents this weekend.  I feel so blessed to have both of them in my life. One of fmy mother's favorite pastimes is shopping at thrift stores.  We visited several in the local area. The great part was my father came along too. I think he had as much, if not more fun than we did.


Whenever I go thrifting I head straight for the housewares and the books in search of  treasures that I can use in the sewing room. Imagine how ecstatic I felt when I stumbled upon this...


I know that there are numerous more current resources available to sewers but I love finding old sewing reference books.   I found this copy of the "Singer Sewing Book" Second Edition for $2.00. Although this book has a copyright of 1972 it contains a lot of very useful information.  It covers practically everything sewing related from choosing your sewing space to making your own bedspread. Many of the techniques described are still in use today.


Hidden in the pages of the book were what appears to be two magazine articles. One was from the August 1975 edition of Family Circle Magazine entitled "Handbook of Clothing Alterations".






The other was a clipping, from an unknown source, entitled "Secrets of a Smooth Sleeve Cap".





The other find was from the housewares section...





This tension pole storage basket unit was originally sold at Bed, Bath and Beyond  for around $30.00 but may be no longer available. I found this one for less than $10.00.  The box had never been opened!  It was the perfect solution for near my sewing table. I am using it to store my TNT patterns , current projects and fabric for  upcoming projects.  By the way, the clip-on lamp was another find.






I am so excited over the treasures I discovered.


Do you like to shop in thrift stores and consignment shops?  Perhaps you have found second hand items to put to use in your crafting space. I would love to hear from you.  Please leave a comment.




And until next time...Sew something you love!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment!